Monday, October 16, 2006

ENG Joke- A Cowboy Rides Into Town

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at the saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals always had a habit of picking on newcomers. When he finished, he found his horse had been stolen.
  • saloon n. 酒吧、小酒館
He comes back into the bar, handily flips his gun into the air, catches it above his head without even looking and fires a shot into the ceiling. "Who stole my horse?" he yelled with surprising forcefulness.
  • handily adj. 靈巧的、熟練的、便利的
  • flip
    • v.
      • 輕拋、擲(硬幣) flip a coin
      • 輕擊、輕彈、輕拍
      • 快速翻閱+through
      • 使翻轉+over
      • 使激動、使高興;(因激動、憤怒)使變得狂熱
      • 蹦蹦跳跳的走動
    • adj.
      • 【口】魯莽的、無禮的、油腔滑調的
  • forcefulness n. 堅強、有力
No one answered.

"I'm gonna have another beer and if my horse ain't back outside by the time I'm finished, I'm gonna do what I dun back in Texas and I don't want to have to do what I dun back in Texas!"

Some of the locals shifted restlessly.
  • restlessly adv. 不安的、慌張的
He had another beer, walked outside, and his horse was back! He saddled up and started to ride out of town.
  • saddle
    • v.
      • 裝馬鞍+up
      • 跨上馬鞍
      • 使負擔、強加+on/upon/with
    • n.
      • 馬鞍、車座
The bartender wandered out of the bar and asked, "Say partner, what happened in Texas?"

The cowboy turned back and said, "I had to walk home!"

No comments: